Friday, November 14, 2014

Glock 42 Review - .380 Pocket Pistol - Update - Good News

.380 GLOCK - Model 42

I am a fan of pocket pistols and have over the years had to argue with the .45 1911 guys that there is a clear choice between having a ideal handgun that you sometime go without versus the compromise pocket gun you carry in order to stay armed.   The G42 has many things going for it most of all are that the quality is high along with the reliability.  This is not a detailed evaluation but instead a shoppers look at the reasons I might buy or not buy the gun.

Testing Gun:  It is always worth renting a gun before buying one and this is what I did.   Here is my take on this weapon.

Size and handling: the Model 42 presents a problem with the normal Glock trigger and if you try one notice that your finger will wrap around the trigger and end up losing feel that you like to have with the short reset of most Glock triggers. 

Ammo cost: .380 ammunition is more expensive than 9mm and has considerable less stopping power.  With the advent of subcompact 9mm pistols it is harder to justify purchasing and carrying a .380.

Recoil and control: the G42 seems about the same as the recoil of the G19.  Since the weight, size and grip are reduced from the G19 this appears to proportionately keep the recoil about the same.
(Update:  After consideration I will attribute some of this to the grip size on the G42.   For me it is not wide enough and would be better if rounded.  I suspect that if I added some layering by a wrap or something to widen the grip a small amount the recoil would be much more manageable.)

Magazine Capacity: 6 rounds standard, and I suppose you could run one in the chamber giving you 7.

Accuracy: is very good on this weapon as for almost any Glock weapon but the thin grip does require and strong hold or it will not cycle properly and the small size requires a medium size hand or a large one to the trigger at the first or second knuckle joint.  This is fine for defense but don't expect target accuracy in a secure hold.  The upside is that this will make the gun harder to remove from your hand in a struggle.

Safety: the safe action trigger is the same as others in the Glock line leaving you to consider whether concealing with a round in the chamber.  From a holster it is a matter of training but a mistaken trigger pull as you try to present your weapon is still a big concern.

Buying Decision:

I probably won't buy one right away since I am partial to the SigP238 both due to size and safety.  As a Glock user I still find it attractive since the controls and trigger are the same. 
http://us.glock.com/products/model/g42 

Update 11/30/2015 - Good News

I picked up a Glock 42 despite my misgivings at the range.  After taking it out for a test run using quality ammo and I had multiple failure to feed problems usually related to limp wristing which I don't do with Glocks since I have owned them for 30+ years.  I was ready to trade the dog in especially since a training instructor with me affirmed that he has seen many reliability problems with them.  Okay, so I sat on it for a month and thought about the problems. The grip size and shape of the 42 doesn't work well with my hand.  I have a medium to small hand, not a large bear paw so size shouldn't be the issue, but shape of the grip maybe.

I did measurements by holding the gun in my hand  and the end of my thumb went well past  the first knuckle of my middle finger.  I consider the ideal to be end of thumb to first knuckle on the middle finger.  Add to that the flattened shape of the grip and I could wobble the gun in my hand with the other hand without much effort. This lack of stability would really cause accuracy problems which it did, and additionally it could simulate limp-wristing on recoil. 

Solution:  I added a Hogue rubber grip sleeve to it and trimmed it.  It was still too small and movable so I added some grip tape taken off an old racketball racket laying in the garage, the blue stuff.  Not only is it tacky, soft, and moisture absorbent, but it can also be wrapped to change shape.  I mounded it toward the center of my hand and increased the frictional coefficients (lack of sliding movement - purchase) drastically.  More rubber on the road in vehicle tire parlance.

Outcome:  I had no feeding or ejection problems in 100 rounds of use with the same ammo.  Of course I'll try more.  The accuracy is now superb for such a small piece and the added girth to the grip doesn't change the essential flatness of the gun since I think the grip was smaller in width than the slide anyway.  For the moment, I consider this problem solved.  If I run into reliability problems in the future I'll pass it along.  Until then, check out racket grip wrap as a poor man's option and even skip the rubber sleeve and save yourself ten dollars.  I think they sell it in black rather than the blue tape I found on the old racket.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive