Monday, November 7, 2016

Book Review: The Adventurer's Guide to the Outdoors

100 Essential Skills for Surviving in the Wild

Copyright 2013 Perrem & Cave Limited

By Universe Publishing

262 Pages

This is a basic reference book for someone desiring to learn about outdoor survival if they can find it at the library or buy it used for a very low cost.  However, it is not a book I'd add to my survival library simply because most of the information can be gleaned from online sources.  

I checked on Amazon and you can find the book used for less than a dollar so for the additional 3.99 shipping you're up to about $5.  For that price I could say it might be worth it for a reference book if you are working on your wilderness survival skills.

Still, I found much of the information generic and some things not accurate according to what I know here in the USA.  For instance, it states that Lyme disease is deadly and to the best of my knowledge and of all the sources I've read about it I have never heard that.  It can do lots of damage to you but death is not the biggest risk of Lyme as compared to many other tick borne diseases.  Maybe they have a more extreme version of Lyme in Britain where I believe this book originated.

It is entertaining for browsing though even the artwork consists of B&W drawings.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive