Saturday, April 6, 2013

How Many Gun Magazines Do you Need

This question has many owners wondering if they ever have enough and in the current high demand climate due to the possible risk of a magazine capacity limit the question must be qualified.

Pistol Magazine Requirements

Pistols are not expected to be sustained fire weapons though capable of such usage.  On that basis, if you are in a firefight and you have to expend more than one or two magazines from a pistol it really puts the question out there, shouldn't you be using a rifle or shotgun at this point.

The surveys have been done for this and most owners have no more than 5 magazines for their handguns though a small percentage own 6 or more and some even go for more than a dozen.  I have been guilty of that myself though with the skyrocketing prices I have been willing to pare down my total just to pay for my habit.  This has had the effect paying off my investment in my remaining magazines once I can get down to my magic number of six.

Now if you plan to compete with a gun I might own more but six gives you 3 range mags and  3 for defense purposes.  What I would do is store a good supply of replacement springs and if you can find them, followers.

Rifle Magazine Requirements

Rifles fit a different category depending on your purpose.  If you own a magazine fed auto-loading rifle  for the intention of sustained usage such as in self defense I would own twenty or more.  I consider six the minimum combat load and would prefer to have a full back-up supply of magazines.  In the case of the AR-15 I'd get as many as I could afford.  Right now at $30 each that may not be many but if the panic slows down and prices drop back you might be able to get them at $10- $15 each.

So here is my recommendation.

Handguns - keep a minimum of six magazines, 3 loaded for use.

Rifles - keep a minimum of twelve magazines, 6 loaded for use.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive