Monday, February 17, 2014

How to Unclog a Sink or Toilet on the cheap

 Before you get started I always suggest you wear some protective gloves and eye protection.  Just some friendly advice.

The Vinegar and Baking Soda Method
I'll have to admit that I haven't tried this one but it makes sense that it is safer than the commercial acid based methods.  At least here the acid you use is in the vinegar and the reaction is short lived and relatively harmless if you get it on you.  Since you're not supposed to use those commercial acid cleaners in the toilet for obvious reasons such an acid burned tush being the main one but also the risk of airborne acid getting in your face and eyes. 

The Plunger Method
The plunger method is simple enough.  Just get a toilet plunger and use it on your sink.  I recommend a dedicated plunger to keep the toilet waste out of your sink.  There are  sink plungers that don't have the long attached stick and these can be found at Wally World and hardware stores.

The Sink Snake Method
I've used this method and generally prefer to use the simple plastic snakes that sell for a few dollars.  I save the metal drain snakes for deep down clogs or for the toilet.  Make sure you get a toilet specific snake to avoid damaging the toilet porcelain.  They usually have a plastic protector to avoid scratching the toilet.  You can make your own protector if necessary but I never bother. 
Here is a video on the method with a plastic drain snake and other tricks.

Here is a link for some plastic drain snakes.  I found them online at Wally World for less than $3 so try to avoid paying $5 for a little piece of plastic as I have found some online stores pricing this item.

Zip it


Make your own plastic sink snake out of a water bottle
This is more work than I want to do but if you want to save a trip to the store if there is a store then you have this option.  I prefer the cheapie store bought ones for two dollars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive